|Date: 6/20/2009 4:35:14 PM|
Ken Buck Memorial Night at Redline
It was another packed house Friday evening at Redline Raceway for Ken Buck Memorial Night. The family of Ken Buck Sr. Sponsored the night providing trophies to the top three finishers in each of the feature events.
It was also autograph night at the raceway. Following the qualifying heats the drivers brought their cars onto the front stretch for the session. Over 60 drivers participated in the autograph session and the management of Redline would like to thank everyone who participated.
Following the autograph session there was a brief memorial observed in victory lane as the family of Ken Buck Sr. released orange balloons into the night sky. Maybe it was nothing but as the balloons ascended upward one lone star could be seen. Coincidence ?? you decide........
The Hobby Stocks were finally called to the staging area and Kenny Benjamin and Cody Baker led the15 car field to the green flag start. Baker wasted no time in taking the lead with Andrew Doorman sliding into second. Doorman made a bid for the lead on lap 5 as he tried to pull even with Baker. Baker was very strong and pulled ahead keeping the top position. At the halfway mark it was Baker still leading with Tony Belcher now riding in second with Doorman following in third. The front three broke away from the rest of the pack as 4th place on back was a dogfight for position. James Belcher, Mark Griffin and Harry Ely made it very interesting as they all battled back and forth for the 4th running spot.. The laps were clicking away and Cody Baker took his first ever feature win, Tony Belcher took a strong second with Andrew Doorman rounding out the top three. It should also be mentioned that the Hobby stocks ran their 20 lap feature in just over 7 minutes.
The "Mighty" Modifieds were up to bat next to run their 25 lap feature. Terry Hough and Serenity Sutherland took 18 Modifieds to the green. Hough would lead at the start with Brent Boyer taking second. Boyer charged hard to the inside of Hough on lap two and took over the lead, placing Hough back to the runner up position. Boyer would surrender the lead on lap 5 as J.R Crouse last weeks feature winner ran inside of Boyer in turn two to take the lead away. Jason Andrews with a strong machine moved into third place and challenged Boyer for second. Boyer was able to keep his second spot with Andrews right behind in third. J.R. Crouse started to pull away from Boyer as lap number 20 was displayed on the scoreboard. Crouse went on to take the win, his second consecutive feature victory, Boyer with a great showing took second and Jason Andrews claimed third.
The I.M.C.A Modifieds rumbled onto the raceway next. Pat Carnes and Larry Colton ran the 18 car field to the start. Victor McNeal took the top spot at the start with mark Griffin jumping into second. Griffin took the lead from McNeal down the back stretch as he and McNeal were pulling away from the rest of the field. Scott Bennett drove into third on lap 3 moving around Sponge Bob Sonny Terry with Lyle Smith right behind taking 4th., placing Terry back to 5th. Victor McNeal running second lost the handle in turn 1 and the entire field was stack up behind coming to a complete stop. The only machines that were able to get away were Mark Griffin and Scott Bennett.
Griffin would continue to show the way until lap 10 when Mike Smith ran him down and made a move inside of Griffin to take the lead away. Mike Smith, Mark Griffin and Scott Bennett pulled away from the rest of the field as the laps wound down. Mike Smith who was the runner up last week would not be denied and took the win. Mark Griffin crossed right behind in second with Scott Bennett taking a strong third.
The Pure Stocks were set and ready to do battle next. Lee Vinson and Bobby Maynard took the 25 pure stocks to the green . Maynard took the lead at the drop of the green. The field was stacked up two by two behind the leader. Shannon Oswald and Lee Vinson battled hard for third side by side. Right behind those two were Chad Ely and Ed Hulslander going door to door for 4th and 5th. Hulslander had trouble and collected the 72 of A.J. Potrzebowski. With Maynard still the leader Oswald ran second and Vinson third. Ernie Martin in his M13 was moving up as he took over third spot placing Vinson back to 4th. Maynard continued to lead until lap 9. Maynard spun in turn 4 bringing out a yellow. That inherited the lead to Shannon Oswald with Ernie Martin now second and Brad Butcher running in third. Martin made a charge for the lead on lap 10 as he moved around Oswald on the back straight. Oswald and Butcher were putting on a show as they ran dead even for second on lap 15. Butcher took second from Oswald off turn 4 Martin was still in command as Butcher, Robinson and Oswald scrambled for second place. The checkers were waving for Ernie Martin who came up half a car length short last week. Nick Robinson was able to advance to second with Shannon Oswald taking a very hard fought third.
Last but not least were the Mini Stocks. James Kriedler was trying to make it 5 wins in a row to remain undefeated. Shane Brown with Mike Navone took the 18 Minis to the start. Brown led early on but Kriedler took the lead over on lap 4. Eric Ellsworth moved up to third spot on lap 5 moving inside Travis Parks on the back stretch. Kriedler absolutely in command at the half way mark with Jeremy Potrzebowski following in second and Ellsworth in third. Potrzebowski spun in turn 4 bringing out a yellow. Kriedler looked as if he were out for a Sunday drive took the 79k to the winners circle for the 5th time in as may tries. Ellsworth took second with Travis Parks moving up late in the race took third.
Next Friday the racing action will be at its prime. Redline Raceway will host the Mid Season Championships. The action will be presented in part by the Midway Truck Stop and Kuser Well Drilling. Double points will be awarded so that should make for some great racing action. Also there is scheduled to be a bicycle giveaway courtsey of Zimmerman Racing and the Chris Shupp Racing team. All children 12 and under will be eligible for the free drawing. There will be other prizes to give away as well. For more information 570-673-3176 570-364-8384 (raceday) or www.redlineraceway.net. Thanks everyone for your support and we will see you next time at the races...............
Ken Buck Memorial Results:
Heat Winners: Tony Belcher, Mark Griffin
1. 14 Cody Baker, Troupsburg, N.Y.
2. 68 Tony Belcher, Wyalusing, Pa.
3. 16 Andrew Doorman, Wyalusing, Pa.
4. 8 James Freeman, Westfield, Pa.
5. 57 Harry Ely, Wyalusing, Pa.
6. 47 James Belcher, Wyalusing, Pa.
7. 11 Mark griffin, Canton, Pa.
8. 51 Wayne Miller, Athens, Pa.
9. 46 Kenny Benjamin, Rome, Pa.
10. 31 Curtis McCormick, Dushore, Pa.
11. 21 Rick Sinsabaugh, Waverly, N.Y.
12. 62 Brandon Hillyard, New Albany, Pa.
13. 10 Tyler Belcher, Wyalusing, Pa.
14. 56d Adam Delgrasso, Addison, N.Y.
15. 44b Kurtis Benjamin, Rome, Pa.
Heat Winners: Josh Pursell, Brent Boyer
1. 8JR. J.R. Crouse, Nazareth, Pa.
2. 19 Brent Boyer, Bloomsburg, Pa.
3. 24x Jason Andrews, Leighton, Pa.
4. 71 Russ Zimmerman, Tunkhannock, Pa.
5. 119 Brian Malcolm, Lake Ariel, Pa.
6. 3x Chris Shupp, Tunkhannock, Pa.
7. 55 Kevin Hartnett, Granville, Pa.
8. 14a Brian Franko, Dalton, Pa.
9. 37 Serenity Sutherland, Dundee, N.Y.
10. 1H Terry Hough, Savona, N.Y.
11. 34 Trevor Sutherland, Dundee, N.Y.
12. 21x Eric Williams, Horseheads, N.Y.
13. 169 Josh Pursell, Owego, N.Y.
14. 52 Gary Griffin, Peckville, Pa.
15. 13z Dave Calaman, Monroeton, Pa.
16. B52 Bernie Griffin, Peckville, Pa.
17. 9cat Tony Harris, Painted Post N.Y.
18. 55x Bobby Silvernail, Gillett, Pa.
Heat Winners: Josh Sawyer, Scott Bennett, Lyle Smith
1. 96 Mike Smith, Arkport, N.Y.
2. 11k Mark Griffin, Canton, Pa.
3. 18s Scott Bennett, Waverly, N.Y.
4. 14s Sonny Terry, Monroeton, Pa.
5. 66 Wayne Baldwin, Troy, Pa.
6. 31 Victor Mc Neal, Troy, Pa.
7. 27 Don Cole, Canton, Pa.
8. 13 Larry Colton, Troy, Pa.
9. 68 Rich McNeal, Troy, Pa.
10. 3 Shawn Gowin, Canton, pa.
11. 7 Shawn Bruce, Troy, Pa.
12. 6 Lyle Smith, Elkland, Pa.
13. 2T Bruce Tinsley, Gillett, Pa.
14. 15m Ray McClure, Troy, Pa.
15. 86 John Ritter, Troy, Pa.
16. 33r Ricky Hunsinger, Stevensville, Pa.
17. 8 Pat Carnes, Granville, Pa.
18. 01 Josh Sawyer, Lindley, N.Y. (DNS)
19. 15 Eddie Sites, Monroeton, Pa. (DNS)
Heat Winners: Ernie Martin, Ed Hulslander, Gene Sharpsteen, Lee Vinson
1. M13 Ernie Martin, Troy, Pa.
2. 15 Nick Robinson, Chemung, N.Y.
3. 3 Shannon Oswald, Troy, Pa.
4. 61 Brad Butcher, Granville, Pa.
5. 84 Jason Benjamin, Towanda, Pa.
6. 13 Doug Colton, Troy, Pa.
7. 33 Ed Hulslander, Troy, Pa.
8. 7 Gene Sharpsteen, Waverly, N.Y.
9. 24 Dave Roberts, Troy, Pa.
10. 94 Bobby Hall Jr., Athens, Pa.
11. 17 Matt Vinson, Troy, Pa.
12. 36 Mike Koser, Ridgeberry, Pa.
13. 15c Jeremiah Clonch, Chemung, N.Y.
14. 28 Jason Sullivan, Towanda, Pa.
15. 31 Kyle Twigg, Troy, Pa.
16. 11 Lee Vinson, Troy, Pa.
17. 29 Bobby Maynard, Towanda, Pa.
18. 110 Josh Ames, Ridgeberry, Pa.
19. 57 Chad Ely, Wyalusing, Pa.
20. 72 A.J. Potrzebowski, Elmira, N.Y.
21. 71 Marshall Blazer, Candor, N.Y.
22. 1x Steve Wren Jr., Van Etton, N.Y.
23. 5a Rich Sharpsteen, Waverly, N.Y.
24. X100 Rodger LeBlanc, Troy, Pa.
25. 47 Josh Marrow, Waverly, N.Y.
Heat Winners: Rich Powell, Eric Ellsworth, Jeremy Potrzebowski
1. 79K James Kriedler, Dundee, N.Y.
2. 14 Eric Ellsworth, Troy, Pa.
3. P2 Travis Parks, Troy, Pa.
4. 00x Gregg Turner, Sayre, Pa.
5. 4 Rich Powell, Rome, Pa.
6. 95 Mike Navone, Canton, Pa.
7. 31 Shane Brown, Rome, Pa.
8. 66k Kenneth Raymond Sr., Burlington, Pa.
9. 11 Jake Snell, Towanda, Pa.
10. 23 Dusty Snell, Towanda, Pa.
11. 6 Ben Hulslander, Granville Smt., Pa.
12. 81 Chad Roberts, Rome, Pa.
13. 7 Zack Bruce, Troy, Pa.
14. 03 Jeremy Potrzebowski, Elmira, N.Y.
15. 68 Ed Navone, Canton, Pa.
16. 9 Josh Collins, Columbia Cross Roads, Pa.
17. 30 JR Bush, Horseheads, N.Y.
18. 20 Billy Groover, Troy, Pa. (DNS)