|Date: 7/7/2009 9:44:14 AM|
Mid Season Championship presented by Mid Way Truck Stop and Kuser Well Drilling Redline Raceway
Believe it or not it was time for the Mid Season Championships at Redline Raceway presented by Midway Truck Stop and Kuser Well Drilling of Roaring Branch, Pa.
The racing season has been more suitable for boat racing than race cars but the weather pattern finally broke for just a bit and blessed the Northern Tier with great weather Friday evening.
The racing action was going to be packed with double the excitement as all classes except for the I.M.C.A. Modifieds would be running for double Championship points.
Atop the Modified point standings there was a tie between Nazareth, Pa's J.R. Crouse and Lake Ariel's Brian Malcolm. The 25 lap feature event went green with Crouse the pole sitter leading the 18 Modified feature field to the green took the hole shot to lead the first lap around. Jason Andrews slid into second and Malcolm rode in third. Following a restart on lap 5 for a spin in turn 2, Malcolm ran inside of the Andrews machine and took over second spot. Behind the leaders a good battle was waging on between Kevin Hartnett and Russ Zimmerman. Hartnett battled past Zimmerman and took 4th place away on lap 8. Crouse was still the leader at halfway but the 119 of Malcolm was applying pressure to the leader. It looked as if Malcolm was ready to make a move for the lead when caution would fall over the field on lap 17. Crouse took the green once again with Malcolm still second and Andrews third. Just behind the front three Hartnett was caught up in a battle for 4th. Chris Shupp (pronounced shoop) as I was told later on wanted to take 4th away from the 55 of Hartnett, but Hartnett was tough and retained his 4th place position. Lap number 20 was displayed on the board as Crouse continued to lead and was starting to pull away from Malcolm. Five laps later Crouse took his third victory of the season, Malcolm crossed second and Jason Andrews with a strong performance took third.
The Nationally Sanctioned I.M.C.A. Modifieds being led by Scott Bennett with Lyle Smith alongside led the 16 car feature field to the start. Elkland's Lyle Smith shot out to the front early as Scott Bennett followed in second and Canton's Mark Griffin rode in third. The leading trio entered turn 3 and Bennett stopped in turn 4 on lap 2. The 18s of Bennett would retire to the pits with mechanical problems. This set up a restart between Smith and Griffin. Smith would edge ahead again on the start with Griffin in second and Ed Sites following in third. Lyle Smith who seems to be having one of those seasons looked as if he was getting faster as the laps wound down. At lap 15 Smith and Griffin had pulled out to a decent advantage over third place runner Ed Sites. It looked as if that is how the finish was going to be but a yellow slowed the field on lap 19. This set up a one lap shoot out to the checkers. The green waved and the 11k of Griffin pulled almost even with Smith entering turn one. Smith pulled up off turn two and regained a stronghold on the lead position and took his second feature win of the season. The 11k of Griffin crossed second and Eddie Sites claimed third.
The Pure Stocks came onto the raceway being led by Nick Robinson of Chemung and Ernie Martin of Troy. The duo took the 21 car field to the start. Yellow came out as fast as the green fell for a multi car pile up in turns 1 and 2. Green waved again with Robinson leading the way. A.J. Potrzebowski was trying to gain position as he drove outside of Brad Butcher on lap 2 for third. Shannon Oswald followed along moving past Butcher to take 4th. Potrzebowski moved inside Martin off turn 2 on lap 4 to take over the second position. Martin fought back on lap 5 and ran dead even for the runner up spot. Martin was not done there as he went after the leader on lap 6 but yellow would slow the field again. Robinson took the green with Martin second and Potrzebowski third. Potrzebowski and Martin both took a shot at the lead but Robinson did not waver and stayed out in front. At the halfway mark Robinson, Potrzebowski, Martin, and Oswald made it a 4 car freight train that pulled away from the rest of the field. Martin two laps later took the lead by running outside of Robinson off turn 4. The score board was stuck at lap 12 for several minutes as a very brief shower strayed onto the raceway and delayed the green flag racing. Martin took the green with Robinson right behind. Robinson ran door to door with Martin on the very next lap and took the lead heading into turn 3. The laps kept clicking off with Robinson leading Potrzebowski who made his way past Martin was in second and Martin still held down third, with Shannon Oswald keeping pace in 4th. The checkers were waiting for Robinson but he had company as he drove hard off turn 4 he found Potrzebowski and Martin making it three wide at the stripe. Nick Robinson took his second victory of the season by half a car length over Ernie Martin who took second and A.J. Potrzebowski held onto third.
21 Mini Stocks took to the track next led by undefeated James Kriedler from Dundee N.Y. Kriedler Took the green with Troy's Eric Ellsworth alongside. Ellsworth ran to the inside of Krielder in turn one as Kriedler bobbled a bit coming off turn 2. That allowed the green machine of Gregg Turner to move up to second on lap 2. Ellsworth had a straight away advantage over Turner in second and Ben Hulslander who was running third. Lap 15 Ellsworth had a very strong machine and continued to lead over Turner and Hulslander. Hulslander on lap 18 took a shot inside of Turner to try and take second away. Ellsworth cruised to his first feature win of the 2009 season snapping the undefeated season of James Kriedler. Gregg Turner by 1/2 car length took second over Ben Hulslander who settled for third.
The Hobby Stocks came out next with James Freeman of Westfield and Wyalusing's Harry Ely pacing the 14 car feature field to the start. Freeman led early with Ely second. The battle for third and forth was a good one as Tony Belcher and James Belcher ran dead even on lap 2 for third. Tony Belcher made his move and took third away from the James Belcher Machine. Behind them Andrew Doorman and Wayne Miller were really going at it for the 5th running position on lap 3. Freeman was driving off into the sunset so to speak at the halfway mark, but Tony Belcher and Harry Ely were still battling hard for second. Belcher and Ely ran side by side and the Belcher machine finally was able to make the pass stick and take second away from Mike Ely by lap 13 coming off the second turn. James Freeman ran away with the win crossing the stripe to take his 4th feature win in 2009. Tony Belcher came home in second and Harry Ely rounded out the top three. It should be noted that the Hobby stocks ran their 20 lap feature in just under 7 minutes.
Everyone at Redline would like to thank the Russ Zimmerman racing team and the Chris Shupp racing team for providing a boys and girls bicycle to be given away last Friday evening along with several other prizes for the children. You efforts are greatly appreciated....
This Friday evening will be sponsored in part by the Wysox NAPA Store. Ed May the owner of the Wysox NAPA will be graciously donating a boys bicycle and a girls bicycle plus many other door prizes to be given away this Friday night.
The Mini Stocks will be racing for 300 dollars going to the winner, and there will be a mechanics race in the front Wheel Drive Hobby Stocks.
Ed May will also be adding to the winners purse for each division. The "Mighty" Modifieds will receive an additional 250 dollars to the winning prize money. All other classes 100 dollars will be added to the winning prize money.
Gates open at 5 warm ups at 7 and qualifying at 8 p.m. For more information 570-673-3176 0r on race day 570-364-8384. www.redlineraceway.net Thanks and keep dry and we will see you at the races. Eric...........
Mid Season Championship Results:
Heat Winners: J.R. Crouse, Jason Andrewss, Brian Malcolm
1. 8JR J.R. Crouse, Nazareth, Pa.
2. 119 Brian Malcolm, Lake Ariel, Pa.
3. 24x Jason Andrews, Leighton, Pa.
4. 55 Kevin Hartnett, Granville, Pa.
5. 3x Chris Shupp, Tunkhannock, Pa.
6. 71 Russ Zimmerman, Tunkhannock, Pa.
7. 19 Brent Boyer, Bloomsburg, Pa.
8. 52 Gary Griffin, Archibald, Pa.
9. 169 Josh Pursell, Owego, N.Y.
10. 9cat Tony Harris, Painted Post N.Y.,
11. 21 Chris Clemens, Waverly, N.Y.
12. 55x Bobby Silvernail, Gillette, Pa.
13. 14a Brian Franko, Dalton, Pa.
14. 34 Trevor Sutherland, Dundee, N.Y.
15. 37 Serenity Sutherland, Dundee, N.Y.
16. 17 George Kostelansky, Susquehanna, Pa.
17. 7J Chris Clark, Caton, N.Y.
18. B52 Bernie Griffin, Peckville, Pa.
19. 13z David Calaman, Monroeton, Pa. (DNS)
Heat Winners: Mark Griffin, Lyle Smith
1. 6 Lyle Smith, Elkland, Pa.
2. 11k Mark Griffin, Canton, Pa.
3. 15 Ed Sites, Monroeton, Pa.
4. 14s Sonny Terry, Monroeton, Pa.
5. 01 Josh Sawyer, Lindley, N.Y.
6. 31 Victor McNeal, Troy, Pa.
7. 86 John Ritter, Troy, Pa.
8. 13 Larry Colton, Troy, Pa.
9. 68 Rich McNeal, Troy, Pa.
10. 27 Don Cole, Canton, Pa.
11. 3 Shawn Gowin, Canton, Pa.
12. 66 Wayne Baldwin, Troy, Pa.
13. 7 Shawn Bruce, Troy, Pa.
14. 2t Bruce Tinsley, Gillette, Pa.
15. 18s Scott Bennett, Waverly, N.Y.
16. 15m Ray McClure, Troy, Pa.
Heat Winners: Nick Robinson, Ernie Martin, A.J. Potrzebowski
1. 15 Nick Robinson, Chemung, N.Y.
2. m13 Ernie Martin, Troy, Pa.
3. 72 A.J. Potrzebowski, Elmira, N.Y.
4. 3 Shannon Oswald, Troy, Pa.
5. 4g Josh Parker, Towanda, Pa.
6. 84 Jason Benjamin, Towanda, Pa.
7. 31 Kyle Twigg, Troy, Pa.
8. 61 Brad Butcher, Granville, Pa.
9. 11 Lee Vinson, Troy, Pa.
10. 28 Jason Sullivan, Towanda, Pa. (No Points)
11. 47 Josh Marrow, Waverly, N.Y.
12. X100 Roger LeBlanc, Troy, Pa.
13. 13 Doug Colton, Troy, Pa.
14. 26 Jesse Kent, Horseheads, N.Y.
15. 33 Ed Hulslander, Troy, Pa.
16. 110 Josh Ames, Ridgeberry, Pa.
17. 94 Bobby Hall Jr., Athens, Pa.,
18. 29 Bobby Maynard, Towanda, Pa.
19. 24 Dave Roberts, Troy, Pa.
20. 77 Tom Hall, Athens, Pa. (DNS)
21. 57 Chad Ely, Wyalusing, Pa. (DNS)
Heat Winners: James Kriedler, Eric Ellsworth, Josh Collins
1. 14 Eric Ellsworth, Troy, Pa.
2. 00x Gregg Turner, Sayre, Pa.
3. 6 Ben Hulslander, Granville Summit, Pa.
4. 4 Rich Powell, Rome, Pa.
5. 48 Geoff Powell, Rome, Pa.
6. 95 Mike Navone, Canton, Pa.
7. 79k James Kriedler, Dundee, N.Y.
8. 23 Dusty Snell, Towanda, Pa.
9. 11 Jake Snell, Towanda, Pa.
10. 96 Ed Mills, Campbell, N.Y.
11. 20 Billy Groover, Troy, Pa.
12. 66k Kenneth Raymond Sr., Burlington, Pa.
13. 31 Shane Brown, Rome, Pa.
14. 81 Chad Roberts, Rome, Pa.
15. 9 Josh Collins, Col. X Rds., Pa., (No Points)
16. 7 Zack Bruce, Troy, Pa.
17. P2 Travis Parks, Troy, Pa.
18. 68 Ed Navone, Canton, Pa.
19. 93 Justin Hall, Sayre, Pa.
20. 99 Archie Haner, Elmira, N.Y.
21. 91 Justin Young, Canton, Pa., (DNS)
Front Wheel Drive Hobby Stocks:
Heat Winners: James Freeman, Harry Ely
1. 8 James Freeman, Westfield, Pa.
2. 68 Tony Belcher, Wyalusing, Pa.
3. 57 Harry Ely, Wyalusing, Pa.
4. 16 Andrew Doorman, Wyalusing, Pa.
5. 44b Kurtis Benjamin, Rome, Pa.
6. 51 Wayne Miller, Athens, Pa.
7. 7 Mike Ely, Wyalusing, Pa.
8. 11 Mark Griffin, Canton, Pa.
9. 47 James Belcher, Wyalusing, Pa.
10. 4b Kenny Benjamin, Rome, Pa.
11. 21 Rick Sinsabaugh, Waverly, N.Y.
12. 31 Curtis McCormick, Dushore, Pa.
13. 10 Tyler Belcher, Wyalusing, Pa.
14. 62 Brandon Hillyard, New Albany, Pa.
Points after Mid Season Championship Night