|Date: 9/11/2017 10:07:22 PM|
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2017
SUSQUEHANNA SPEEDWAY RACE RESULTS
GENE KNAUB DOMINATES AND PICKS UP HUGE PAYDAY AT SUSQUEHANNA
Meleason, Dove, Bishop and Updegraff Score Weekend Wins
By Brad Vores for Susquehanna Speedway
YORK HAVEN, PA…9/9/17
Anytime Gene Knaub enters a 358 late model race, it’s a good bet that he will be in the hunt when the checkered flag falls.
Case in point for the 7th annual Creekside Auto Sales Topless 50 presented by Bernheisel Race Cars Saturday night at Susquehanna Speedway where the Dover driver dominated the marquee event, leading all 50 laps to post the huge $5,000 payday.
Other winners during the big two night racing weekend included Austin Bishop in the Freedmont® Mortgage Lending PASS/IMCA Sprints and Alex Updegraff in the Superior Homes Extreme Stock feature on Friday night while Chris Meleason in the Credit Connection Auto Sales Super Sportsman and Steve Dove’s Morgan Paving/Aqua Fun Pools Street Stock feature joined Knaub as Saturday night feature winners.
Starting on the outside of row one, Knaub quickly took command of the Topless 50 feature and would never be seriously challenged during the entire 50 lap test despite a late race caution with eight laps to go.
Knuab, who last visited Susquehanna in June and won both the Appalachian Mountain Super Late Model Speedweek feature and the 358 late model main that night took the checkered flag 3.421 seconds ahead of runner-up Brian Shuey, who started 12th. The win was Knaub’s third of the season at the York Haven oval.
Bobby Beard finished in the third spot ahead of 17th starter and Hard Charger Derike Quade with defending track champion and current point leader Randy Christine, Jr. fifth. Completing the top ten finishers were Randy Stoudt, Sean Merkel, Bryan Bernheisel, Chase Billet and Taylor Farlling.
Quade received a $200 gift certificate from Brown and Miller Racing Solutions and a Free Hoosier Racing Tire for his Hard Charger award.
Justin Weaver set fast time on Friday night over the 35-car field with a lap of 18.211 seconds. Weaver was presented with $200 cash from Millers Racing Parts and a $400 gift certificate from Brown and Miller Racing Solutions as well as a free Hoosier Racing Tire. Weaver was running inside the top five when he had to pit for a flat tire during the fuel stop.
Heat races on Friday night were won by Farlling, Weaver, Beard and Knaub. Daulton Bigler won the B-Main Saturday night.
All 358 late model teams in attendance were presented with $200 in free products and $1,500 in discounts and coupons as part of the Bernheisel Race Components Manufacturers Night.
Chris Meleason led flag to flag to capture his first win of the year in the Credit Connection Auto Sales Super Sportsman feature.
Aboard the Mike Callahan owned car, the Carlisle driver held back challenges from sixth starting Tony Jackson before becoming the eighth different winner this season. Meleason took the checkered flag .664 seconds ahead of Jackson with Chase Gutshall, 13th starter Kenny Edkin and Garrett Williamson competing the top five. Rounding out the top ten were 14th starter Rich Eichelberger, Todd Leonard, 25th starter and Artwerks/Young Racing Hard Charger Jay Fannasy, 18th starter Scott Dellinger and Mike Enders.
Heats for the 28 cars were won by Frankie Herr, Gutshall and Meleason.
Steve Dove also led flag to flag to post his first win of the season in the Morgan Paving/Aqua Fun Pools Street Stock feature.
Dove, who became the 11th different street stock winner this season held back Scott Thunberg for the win with Jim Palm, 15th starter Matt Adams and 13th starter Craig Morgan completing the top five. Sixth through 10th were Mike Potts, John Stoll, Jr., 20th starter and Artwerks Hard Charger Jim Jacobs, Richie Dobson, Brandon Wanner.
The race was red flagged on lap 5 for a seven car crash on the front stretch.
Kory Sites, Ryan Smith and Joey Hoffer won heats for the 23 street stocks.
In Friday night action, Austin Bishop started second and led all 20 laps to post his first win in PASS/IMCA Sprint action. He became the seventh different winner at the track this season as he defeated ninth starter Zach Newlin, Kyle Smith, 13th starter Dave Grube and Dave Brown with Darren Miller, Joe Kay, John Fiore, Billy Ney and Colby Dice rounding out the top ten.
Heats for the 30 PASS/IMCA Sprints were wony by Nick Sweigart, Bishop and Joe Kay.
Current point leader Alex Updegraff ended a several week winless spell as he returned to victory lane for the tenth time this season in Extreme Stock action. Updegraff picked up the win over Kyle Emig, 13th starter Travis Horan, Bill Powell and 16th starter Patrick McClane.
Michael Smith and Bill Powell won heats for the 17 car field.
Susquehanna Speedway returns to action Saturday night September 16th with the 43rd annual Credit Connection Auto Sales Gary Wolford Sportsman 100 for the Super Sportsman. The Street Stocks and Extreme Stocks will also be on the racing card that begins at 7PM.
The BAPS Auto Paints and Supplies 410 Sprint Series returns to Susquehanna on Thursday night, September 21st joined by the Central PA Legends. It will be the sixth race of the seven race BAPS series. Race time will be 7PM.
There will be a Test N’ Tune at the speedway on Wednesday night, September 13 from 6-PM.
RACE RESULTS 9/9/17
CREEKSIDE AUTO SALES TOPLESS 50
BERNHEISEL RACE CARS 358 LATE MODELS (50 Laps):
1) Gene Knaub, 2) 177 Brian Shuey, 3) 33 Bobby Beard, 4) 74Q Derike Quade, 5) 74 Randy Christine, Jr., 6) NINE Randy Stoudt, 7) 118 Sean Merkel, 8) 119B Bryan Bernheisel, 9) 22 Chase Billet, 10) 8 Taylor Farlling, 11) 5 Charles Potts, 12) 2 Dan Zechman, 13) 2J Justin Weaver, 14) 22B Mark Billet, 15) 97 JR Rodriquez, 16) 55 Sam Rial, 17) 32J Shaun Jones, 18) 62 Devin Frey, 19) 20L Joe Lusk, 20) 21m Matt Murphy, 21) 12 Dave Ogin, 22) 116 Travis Mease, 23) 20 Steve Billet, 24) 24 Daulton Bigler.
Did Not Qualify: 27 Robbie Emory, 121 Larry Neiderer, 5 Jake Moser, 4M Kyle Moser, 54 Terry Gingerich, 000 Matt Nailor, 57D Brad Shank, 57 Mike Smith, 1T Tim Murphy, 22H eric Hohol, 19 Drew Weisser
CREDIT CONNECTION AUTO SALES SUPER SPORTSMAN (25 Laps):
1) 318M Chris Meleason, 2) 17J Tony Jackson, 3) 1A Chase Gutshall, 4) 75 Kenny Edkin, 5) 32w Garrett Williamson, 6) 8 Rich Eichelberger, 7) 7L Todd Leonard, 8) 222 Jay Fannasy, 9) 30 Scott Dellinger, 10) 3B Mike Enders, 11) 77 Russ Mitten, 12) 7 Timmie Barrick, 13) 58 Paul Miller, 14) 23 Justin Foster, 15) 35 John Edkin, 16) 2 Austin Lorah, 17) 22 Daniel John, 18) 83 Bruce Buckwalter, Jr., 19) 77w Tom Wyckoff, 20) 20w Davey Walsh, 21) 2M Matt Ondek, 22) 14 Nate Young, 23) 32 Gregg Foster, 24) 54 Doug Dodson, 25) 70D Frankie Herr,
Did Not Qualify: 5D Luke Deatrick, 27 Justin Williams, 6 Eric Walker
MORGAN PAVING/AQUA FUN POOLS STREET STOCKS (20 Laps):
1) 22 Steve Dove, 2) 12 Scott Thunberg, 3) 7P Jim Palm, 4) 9 Matt Adams, 5) 11 Craig Morgan, 6) M1 Mike Potts, 7) 41w John Stoll, Jr., 8) 4J Jim Jacobs, 9) 55x Richie Dobson, 10) 64 Brandon Wanner, 11) 21K Kory Sites, 12) 59 Ryan Smith, 13) 21 Joey Hoffer, 14) 10C Kevin Heckman, 15) 81F Gary Calimer, Jr., 16) 63 Doug Barber, 17) 65 Bill Wentz, 18) 2 Randy Zechman, 19) 94 Mike Buckley,
Disqualified: 91 Dalton Frye
Did Not Start: 26 Shawn Liddick, 37 Jimmy Combs, 47 Bob Scott Jr.
SUPERIOR HOMES XTREME STOCKS (20 Laps):
1) 1 Alex Updegraff, 2) 10 Kyle Emig, 3) 21H Travis Horan, 4) 7 Bill Powell, 5) 55 Patrick McClane, 6) F1 John Frye, 7) 97 Donnie Broderick, 8) 1A Scott Arnold, 9) 99K Kirby Sites, 10) 7F Jordan Fulton, 11) 98 Richard Daughtrey, 12) 95 Dan Snyder, 13) 23B Donnie Murphy, 14) 76 Michael Smith, 15) 7JR Johnny Palm, 16) 15 Jeff Gill.
Did Not Start: 77 Jeff Waltz
FREEDMONT® MORTGAGE LENDING PASS/IMCA SPRINTS (20 Laps):
1) 11 Austin Bishop, 2) 11z Zach Newlin, 3) 17 Kyle Smith, 4) 3D Dave Grube, 5) 44x Dave Brown, 6) 9c Darren Miller, 7) 12 Joe Kay, 8) 91J John Fiore, 9) 83 Billy Ney, 10) 17A Colby Dice, 11) 77 Andrew Hake, 12) 8 Nick Sweigart, 13) 36 Jaremi Hanson, 14) 880 Drew Ritchey, 15) 50 Jay Krout, 16) 19 Tyler Cochran, 17) 1 Eddie Strada, 18) 5z Zach Burd, 19) 86 Teddy Thomas, 20) 8D Scott Ellerman, 21) 93 Steve Kothe, 22) 20 Stephanie Dodson.
Did Not Start: 5T Tyler Reeser, 137 Ian Cumens
Did Not Qualify: 2 Erin Statler, 11Teen Danny Leaper, 88 Fred Arnold, 13 Kurt Knepper, 5 John Walp, 0 Kyle Ganoe
|Return-to-Susquehanna Speedway Park News and Results|