|Date: 10/16/2017 9:59:19 PM|
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2017
SUSQUEHANNA SPEEDWAY RACE RESULTS
KYLE SMITH RECORDS FIRST SUSQUEHANNA 305 SPRINT WIN
Zechman, Beard, Powell and Carroll All Score First Wins of Season
By Brad Vores for Susquehanna Speedway
YORK HAVEN, PA…10/14/17
It’s been a good two weeks in Central Pennsylvania for South Egremont, Massachusetts racer Kyle Smith.
The young driver dominated Saturday night’s 20-lap Freedmont® Mortgage Lending PASS/IMCA Sprint car feature at Susquehanna Speedway as he visited victory lane for the first time ever at the York Haven oval. Smith’s Susky win backs up his big win a week earlier in IMCA Sprint action at nearby Port Royal.
Four first time season winners also emerged Saturday night as Bobby Beard won the Bernheisel Race Cars 358 Late Models, Randy Zechman took the win in the Morgan Paving/Aqua Fun Pools Street Stocks, Bill Powell won the Superior Homes Extreme Stocks and Robbie Carroll got the win in the Road Warriors.
Starting on the pole aboard his No. 17NY Sprint, Smith dominated the event that saw him pull away to a 2.765 margin of victory. Two early race cautions was all that kept the field close as Smith became the eighth different winner in the nine 305 Sprint car mains in 2017.
Darren Miller chased Smith the entire distance and settled for second over Dave Grube, Ken Duke, Jr. and Billy Ney with Jaremi Hanson, 2017 Susquehanna track champion Zach Newlin, Rick Stief, Colby Dice and Stephanie Dodson completing the top ten finishers.
Kyle Ganoe, Andrew Hake and Miller were heat winners for the 25 cars.
Donnie Hendershot was the Artwerks Hard Charger coming from 18th to 12th.
Brian Shuey led the first 11 laps of the 20-lap BRC 358 Late Model main when sixth-starting Bobby Beard took control.
Once out front, it was all Beard as he pulled away from the field to post his first win of the year by 2.968 seconds. He became the 11th different winner this season in late model action.
Shuey, Eric Hohol, 2017 track champion Randy Christine, Jr and Sean Merkel finished in the top five trailed by Steve Billet, Tim Murphy, Dan Zechman, Steve Todorow and Taylor Farlling. Murphy was Artwerks Hard Charger.
Hohol and Beard were heat winners for the 15-car field.
It was all Randy Zechman in the 20-lap Morgan Paving/Aqua Fun Poos Street Stock feature after taking the lead with nine laps complete.
Mike Buckley led lap one before Kyle Saylor took the lead and held that point until fifth starting Zechman took over.
Zechman drove away taking checkered flag by 4.202 seconds for his first win of the year and 12th different division winner.
Jim Palm came from eighth to finish second ahead of Saylor, Mike Potts and Kevin Sigler with Jimmy Combs, Brad Bingaman, Elvin Brennan, Howard Williams and Matt Wampler completing the top ten.
With his 11th place finish, division sponsor Craig Morgan captured the 2017 Street Stock track championship.
Heats for the 19 cars were won by Buckley and Zechman.
Bill Powell emerged with his first career Susquehanna win and 100th career overall win as he was in the right place at the right time in the Superior Homes Extreme Stock feature.
Racing third as the white flag flew, Powell had a front row seat when 2017 track champion Alex Updegraff got into Kyle Emig, who led laps 2 through 19 and spun him. The two raced side by side for half of the race but the contact put both to the back as Powell held on for the win on the final lap over Patrick McClane, Travis Horan, 13th starting and Artwerks Hard Charger John Frye and Jeff Gill were the top five.
Johnny Palm and Emig won heats for the 19 Extreme Stocks.
Robbie Carroll led all 15 laps to win the Road Warrior feature over Travis Brown, Kyle Rohrbaugh, Ryan Underkoffler and Justin Dashler.
Susquehanna Speedway returns to action this weekend with a big two day show in the 14th annual Sunoco/Insinger Performance Nationals fueled by Millers Racing Parts.
Friday night, October 20 will feature qualifying for the Morgan Paving/Aqua Fun Pools Street Stocks along with complete shows for the Extreme Stocks, Road Warriors, Central PA Legends, Stock 600CC Micro Sprints and Penmar Cars. Friday race time is 6:30PM.
Saturday night will be highlighted with the Street Stock 50 along with complete programs for the Extreme stocks, Road Warriors, Central PA Legends, Stock 600 CC Micro Sprints, Sportsman Modifieds, E-Mods and BFTP Cars. Racing Saturday begins at 5PM.
There will be a Test N’ Tune on Wednesday, October 18 at from 6-9PM at the speedway.
RACE RESULTS 10/14/17
FREEDMONT® MORTGAGE LENDING PASS/IMCA SPRINTS (20 Laps):
1) 17NY Kyle Smith, 2) 9C Darren Miller, 3) 3D Dave Grube, 4) 67 Ken Duke, Jr., 5) 83 Billy Ney, 6) 36 Jaremi Hanson, 7) 11z Zach Newlin, 8) 9s Rick Stief, 9) 17A Colby Dice, 10) 20 Stephanie Dodson, 11) 77 Andrew Hake, 12) 31 Donnie Hendershot, 13) 75 Dusty Shatzer, 14) 50 Jay Krout, 15) 8 Nick Sweigart, 16) 61 John Scarborough, 17) 13 Kurt Knepper, 18) 44K Kirsten Hess, 19) 74 Vance Berry, 20) 5 Wally Eshenaur, 21) 0 Kyle Ganoe, 22) 91J John Fiore, 23) 93 Steve Kothe, 24) 69 Eric Mathiot.
Did Not Start: 86 Kyle Craker
BERNHEISEL RACE CARS 358 LATE MODELS (20 Laps):
1) 33 Bobby Beard, 2) 177 Brian Shuey, 3) 22H Eric Hohol, 4) 74 Randy Christine, Jr., 5) 16 Sean Merkel, 6) 20 Steve Billet, 7) 1T Tim Murphy, 8) 2 Dan Zechman, 9) 93 Steve Todorow, 10) 8 Taylor Farlling, 11) 21m Matt Murphy, 12) 33x Kenny Kluge, 13) 55 Sam Rial.
Did Not Start: 19 Dan Hoffman, 5 Charles Potts
MORGAN PAVING/AQUA FUN POOLS STREET STOCKS (20 Laps):
1) 2 Randy Zechman, 2) 7P Jim Palm, 3) 14 Kyle Saylor, 4) M1 Mike Potts, 5) 7s Kevin Sigler, 6) 54J Jimmy Combs, 7) 32 Brad Bingaman, 8) 555 Elvin Brennan, 9) 41 Howard Williams, 10) 100 Matt Wampler, 11) 11 Craig Morgan, 12) 9 Matt Adams, 13) 21 Joey Hoffer, 14) 94 Mike Buckley, 15) 64 Brandon Wanner,
Did Not Start: 12 Scott Thunberg, 66 Kevin Kolaric, 00 Calvin Redding, 17 Bobby Kupp
SUPERIOR HOMES EXTREME STOCKS (20 Laps):
1) 7 Bill Powell, 2) 55 Patrick McClane, 3) 21H Travis Horan, 4) F1 John Frye, 5) 15 Jeff Gill, 6) 1A Scott Arnold, 7) 76 Michael Smith, 8) 97x Ronnie Grinestaff, 9) 54 Kris Ney, 10) 10 Kyle Emig, 11) 98 Richard Daughtrey, 12) 1 Alex Updegraff, 13) 37 Mallory Duvall, 14) 77 Jeff Waltz, 15) 97 Donnie Broderick, 16) 8 John Wright, 17) 7F Jordan Fulton.
Did Not Start: 7JR Johnny Palm, 11 Brandon Staccone
Road Warriors ( 15 Laps ):
1) 69 Robbie Carroll, 2) 47 Travis Brown, 3) 12 Kyle Rohrbaugh, 4) 17A Ryan Underkoffler, 5) 14 Justin Dashler, 6) 32 Jeff Foster, 7) 96 Zach Rock,
Did Not Start: 115 Tony Hubler, 20s Daryl Sipe
|Return-to-Susquehanna Speedway Park News and Results|